Saturday, August 6, 2011

my most memorable vacation

For the first time ever, I'm linking up with FTLOB on a writing prompt.

One of my goals on my new year's resolution list was to write more, and I think this is the perfect way to get going. So, without further ado, my most memorable vacation...

It's no secret that I love to travel, and travel I do. Even as a small child I have endless amounts of memories from family trips, girl scout camps, schools trips, new trips, trips by road, and trips by air. But the one that stands out in my mind as most memorable, or significant rather, is my first solo trip. To Scotland.


My Dad had planted the idea in my head, and with careful planning, consideration, and financial assistance from said father, the trip was in motion. I had time off during my stint as an Au Pair to travel and I chose to fly into Edinburgh, spend two days there before grabbing a train north to St. Andrews.
Leading up to the trip I was excited. I had my flights, trains, and hotels in order, but the rest was up in the air. I researched the cities and had a tentative idea of what I wanted to do and see. But it wasn't until 6:00am the day I was travelling until I freaked out a bit. 


I was sitting on the bus on my way to the train station, the first leg of my journey. I made there on time, grabbed an English magazine or two, coffee, and went to wait for the train to take me to Amsterdam Schipol. The airport that I had become very familiar with during my time in Germany. I sat with two Americans who had just finished studying in Osnabrueck [my German home] and on their way to Italy. Talking with them helped cure my nerves, and by the time I made it to Amsterdam I was set. I found my way to my gate, got on the plane, and made it safely to Edinburgh an hour later.


Right from the get-go I realized that one, Scotland is beautiful. Two, the Scots are so friendly. Everyone from the taxi driver to the waiter at the pub were eager to hear my about my life, my story, and help me out in any way they could. I spent the rest of my first day there walking around old town and fell asleep that night feeling mature, brave, and incredibly blessed to have such an experience. I spent my next day trying whiskey, shopping, photographing the hell out of the Royal Mile, museum hoping, and eating the best baked potatoes ever. When I traveled up to St. Andrews I had a similar experience, but felt humbled as I sat next the Road Hill Bunker at The Old Course talking to my dad on the phone. Talking internationally, of course, but it was worth it to share in his experiences, as St. Andrews is one of his favorite places. Ever.

Walking the cobblestone streets of St. Andrews, the same street that Wills and Kate walked (this was two weeks before their wedding so the town was decorated appropriately) , I had a lot of time to really be alone for the first time in years. I realized that I am at a place in my life where I can do whatever I want. Study whatever and wherever I so desire, and if I want to travel all over the world, I can. I felt like I had really made it to adulthood when an American family staying in the same hotel asked me what I was doing in St. Andrews. 'Just a vacation', I replied. They asked if I were alone, to which I said, 'Yep. Just felt like going to Scotland.' Do it now they told me, as they smiled lovingly at their two children, or you'll have quite the bill to foot with these guys tagging along. 


We talked about where I was from, where they were from, my experience in Germany, their families' jaunt around Europe for six months. All of it making me aware of how small this big world is (they were from California too-of course), and how easy it is to see it, granted the right resources. This trip is easily my most memorable, and I long over travelling to Scotland again. I also know what I am capable of and can't wait to travel solo again. It is something every person, or traveler at least, should experience.

 To see, and read more, about my tips to Scotland you can do so here.
+++
Happy Weekending,
xo...Hay

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the emphasis on your first time to really be alone. I hope I can have some good time with myself for reflection on my upcoming trip. Still so nervous though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to see the World! I had similar experience when I was traveling alone in UK. Traveling with my kid and husband is fun too but traveling alone gives more freedom to explore...wish I can repeat it:)


    TQ for visiting n commenting on my post - Windsor Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Coming through FTLOB. What a wonderful experience and gift your father gave you. I have never gone on a trip on my own. It will be a bit hard now, I'm married and have a child. :)
    Scotland looks beautiful.
    Cheers!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you just keep adding more places to my bucket list! Keep them coming!

    Looks like a beautiful vacation for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had Scotland on my mind for awhile now, and a solo trip too. You have inspried me to really make it happen. I think it would be liberating to do a solo trip. I also think I have written a very similar comment on another post of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an awesome adventure!!! and the amazing memories you made are priceless! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that you did a solo trip! just a short trip like this alone can make you learn years worth of knowledge about yourself i think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stumbled across your blog and I'm now following. I just got back from St. Andrews myself. I'm slowly writing about my Europe trip here: http://twistedmummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. these pictures are beautiful!! i am so jealous of your trip, it looks like you had so much fun!!

    madeline

    changingtunestheblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man. you're life is way fab. keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. clearly meant your. not you're...

    oops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post... I studied in Germany..twice (Frankfurt & Mannheim) & traveled all over Europe.. back in the "olden days" we did Eurorail & stayed in hostels... I have so many great memories from those days... Only wish I had had a blog to document them all... Came over from Megans..

    ReplyDelete

show some love.
i like hearing what you have to say :)