Sunday, September 18, 2011

weekending: oakland, ca + others

Like any big city, there are the good parts and the bad parts. Oakland is one of those cities. Sure, it may have terrifyingly high numbers of crime and prostitution, but it also has some gems.
With that being said...I don't like Oakland. 
My grandmother lives in a nice suburb outside of Oakland is remodeling her bathroom. So, when she asked me to come down and take her to pick out toilets, tubs, and showers [Oh, my!] I of course said yes.


The tile store really was amazing and made me wish I had a home of my own and money to decorate it. The appliance shopping however wore us out and we needed lunch. We hopped into Homeroom, a yummy spot that apparently has been featured on the food network. I don't watch the food network, so I wouldn't know.


It's decked out in school room decor. From the cute font, easel, chalkboard wall, number tables, mason jar drinks, and a menu on note paper. It really was as cute as it was delicious. They brew their own rootbeer, which my G-Ma had, and I opted for the organic lemonade and iced tea. A.k.a, an Arnold Palmer. They have wine and domestic beer on tap too. 


We sat underneath the chalkboard wall which featured an awesome mural sketch of California.
Nan ordered the classic mac-n-cheese with bacon and baked bread crumbs. I had the classic with green beans, mushrooms, and broccoli, also baked. It was so good. If you ever find yourself in the Oakland/Berkeley/Piedmont area it is incredibly worth it. Awesome food, people, and atmosphere.

I drove home that evening, since I had to work the next morning, and the normally 1.5 hour drive took 2 hours and 10 minutes thanks to the lovely Bay Area evening traffic. But, at least I had some pretty sunset views of the bay. 
+++
 And, since we're on an Instagram photo kick, here's what the rest of the weekend looked like:

Yummy salad+drinks, playing with Playmobil and in boxes with the little brother, and a pumpkin spice candle that set off the fire alarm in the middle of the night. Joyous.

Do you have Instagram? If so, come find me: seehayfly 
It is love. Just like that tile store, but better.

5 comments:

  1. I remember driving by the California Hotel! It looks kind of creepy, but in a cool way. It reminds me of Tower of Terror at Disneyland :p

    Next time I go up there I definitely want to stop at Homeroom! It sounds so cute and yummy.
    I have an instagram, but I always forget to use it. I'll add you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! Home decor is like infinitely awesome! I cannot wait to own my own "fixer-upper" one day! Lets just hope I get a handy man ;)

    And homeroom looks absolutely rad, plus it has mac and cheese! My fave <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome reflections of your time with Nan. I love you more for being such an attentive granddaughter.
    Xxoo, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. o. my. god. i NEED to check out that mac and cheese place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That restaurant sounds amazing. And so does your Grandma! I long for the days I can go appliance and tile shopping for my home too, but how fun you got to do it with her!

    ReplyDelete

show some love.
i like hearing what you have to say :)