Sunday, March 25, 2012

on homesickness, a plethora a pictures, and sappiness for your sunday pleasure

i lived in germany for a year. 
there was one time where i found myself homesick for california.
it was right after my mom had gone back from her mini vaction with me in europe.
right after christmas, right before new years eve.
i was homesick for about three days, and that was all.
of course i missed my family, my friends, my little babes at work. 
but i was never actually longing for home.

lately, all of my thoughts are fleeing to germany. i'm missing everything about my time abroad. sights, smells, tastes, travels, stories, moments, but most of all, my people.


i miss summer music festivals featuring small name bands that are now large name bands

rainy day village strolls with my boo

 i miss bikes, oh how i miss bikes

i miss dutch doughnuts 

i miss having my mom in osnabrueck

i miss being in amsterdam with my family

i miss traveling by sled

 i miss being in my favorite city [amsterdam] with my mama

i miss this boy.
a lot, a lot.

i miss legal day drinking with my underage american friend

i miss impromptu bike rides to the park for a picnic lunch with this little man

i miss these kids

ich vermisse berlin!

drunk train rides to amsterdam at seven in the morning

heineken...day drinking...beer
i miss beer
 i miss this outfit

i miss holding this hand

picturesque views all around me

sharing german delights with one broski

basically, what i'm trying to say is,
one. if you got to the end of all of that, congrats.
and two. home is where your heart is.
see, told you.

"i may not have gone where i intended to go, but i think i have ended up where i needed to be."
douglas adams

would i like to to be young and stupid and foolish and move to germany tomorrow travelling around europe with my german, and being around my people and city? yes, yes i would love to do that. but i know the kind of life that i want. and i need to finish school to become a teacher and find a job teaching somewhere in the world. i am suffering form major wanderlust, major homesickness for my german home, and having travel bug issues. but i'm trying to focus on the good of this situation and dream up all of the adventures that will be had when i get to that point in my life. but for now, we'll always have germany.

here's to hoping your sunday is a little more cheerful than my whining.
but i'm not whining, just reminiscing.
promise.



12 comments:

  1. dude, you are making me miss germany, and I've never even been there! It kind of makes me want to do what you did after I graduate. I really need travel out of the country!

    PS. I have this next coming weekend off of work, and I'm thinking of just driving up to SF by myself for the weekend before my spring break ends. Basically what I'm saying is, do you have any plans for next weekend?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many wonderful memories! I totally understand how you feel. If you finish school and get a teaching degree you can work almost anywhere in the world at an international school and make even more new memories. But don't forget to enjoy where you are now in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, friend :( I'm sorry you're missing Europe! But you have some GREAT memories and you are SUPER gorgeous!! Loving you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, love your pictures! Sometimes I miss my time as an au pair too! And the city where I lived, and it's only on the other side of the Bay... :(

    I hope your plans to go back to Germany come through :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you will always have amazing memories and friends from there. Makes me want to go to Germany, I've never been! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah wowzas I leave in 4 months and am already sick thinking about leaving so I can't imagine how I will feel when I go home. Love seeing all your memories and being reminded that I'll always have mine to cling to

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I am sorry your missing your German second life and your German hunny! You will be back before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel except right now I am homesick for Alaska! It sounds like you are really doing the right thing for your future now though and the world will be waiting for you when you get back out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! Your pictures make ME homesick for Germany too (even though I've never been!)! Lol! Your people look so happy and these look like wonderful memories! You're doing the right thing by sticking to your plan! You'll be back over there before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. day drinking :)
    It's so difficult to live with your heart in two places. Just keep focusing on your goals and your plans and you will be back seeing all your favorite sights and people before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what beautiful images and great travels! this really makes me wish i was traveling to europe tomorrow!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the views and the smiles and the bikes and the laughter I can hear in all those pictures. Lucky you to have made those memories.

    ReplyDelete

show some love.
i like hearing what you have to say :)